Mixed Dal (Instant Pot)
So finally I am making more use of my Instant pot as I was asked to share some recipes which can be easily made in it. I really like how easy it is to cook some of everyday staples which saves me time while cooking more than one dish. Are there days where you just want to eat simple, non-spicy wholesome food then make this MIXED DAL its everything you need to satisfy your Indian food cravings with minimal spice and maximum flavor. You can also use your pressure cooker for this if you don't have an instant pot.
I have grown up eating DAL-RICE like every other Indian kid and it's a must in our regular meals as it's the major source of PROTEIN for vegetarians. There are multiple styles of DAL (Lentils) I make in my kitchen from good ole Khatti Meethi Gujarati Dal to restaurant style DAL MAKHANI. The recipe I am sharing today is something I like to make with my dry sabzis (veggies without curry) as it gives it a good balance to the whole meal. So here is the quick list of ingredients and the process on how to make it in your INSTANT POT.
PREP TIME: 30 Mins COOK TIME:30 Mins SERVES:-6
NOTE- Use your measuring cup that you got with your INSTANT POT as I used the same.
3 cups Mixed Dal (lentils- Chana, orange masoor, arhar, yellow moong)
6 cups water
1 inch piece cinnamon stick
1 bay leaf
4-5 whole black peppers
1 medium tomato chopped
3 Medium Green chilies (these are not spicy)
4-5 Curry leaves
1 inch ginger piece cut into juliennes
1/4 tea spoon hing
1/4 tea spoon methi powder (optional) (yellow fenugreek powder)
1/2 cup finely chopped coriander
1-2 table spoon finely chopped mint leaves
1 tea spoon turmeric powder
4-5 table spoon Ghee
1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
1 Whole lime juice
salt to taste
*Wash the DAL couple times in warm water and soak it in water for 10-15 Mins.
* Once the DAL is soaked rinse thoroughly and put it in your INSTANT POT and add 6 cups of water.
* Add in the chopped tomato, cinnamon stick, cloves, black peppercorns, bay leaf, coriander leaves, mint leaves, chopped green chilies, turmeric, salt, 1 table spoon ghee and mix well.
* Close the INSTANT POT move the whistle to sealing position and pressure cook on normal for 30 Mins. (follow same steps for pressure cooker and pressure cook your dal for3-4 whistles )
* You can let release the steam on its own once done or just press the small button on top of lid with a spoon or spatula and once it drops just move the whistle to release and let off the steam. (BE VERY VERY CAREFUL while you are opening the lid )
DO NOT FORCE THE LID to open..only open when the steam is fully released.
* Once done mix the dal well. Take a small tempering bowl and heat on medium-low flame on your gas or induction.add 4-5 Table spoons ghee. Add in 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds and let it crackle. Add in the hing, methi powder and ginger julienne. Turn off the gas flame and add in the curry leaves.
* Add this tempering on top of your dal mix well and finish off with lime juice and taste test for the salt. you can add in more salt if required. Serve with some steamed basmati rice or rotis or parathas and sabzi or everything together as a thali.
* Some pickle, papad, buttermilk, salad are good condiments to add into your thali.
* SLIDE FOR PICS BELOW...
#mixeddal #lentilsoup #lentil #daltadka #dal #spicendiced #tadkadal #dalrice #dal #indiancurry #indiancurryrecipe #indiandalrecipe