This week was very emotional for me as we had planned a family BBQ on the coming weekend and we had to cancel it considering the present situation. I had planned a nice family gathering for my family as there were four birthdays we were celebrating all together but hard luck. So that's the main reason why I baked this cake is because I wanted to make something special for my cousin, my masi, hubby dearest who are celebrating birthdays in MAY, and my most special grandma who is no more with me but her birthday is very special.
My grandma who I fondly called Maa was exceptional baker and was known for her cakes she baked during Christmas. So much so that everyone in my neighbor hood and my family never missed out meeting us on Christmas just so they can eat the cake she use make. Nothing fancy just simple dry fruit cake and tutti frutti cake that she made on GAS Range in a HANDWO VESSEL (its similar to bundt cake pan). But still it was the best in the world that even the most efficient bakers in the world would be surprised with the results. Now I can't recreate her cake but I can certainly make something that I can call my own.
Honestly, this is the first cake I have ever baked from scratch but I guess the love and emotion really came through and it was something that I had to share with you all. I normally tried the ready made cake batters available in the market but they are already flavored and measured so you can't really make variations. So I thought why not create something from the flavors I already know that works in a dessert.
A couple of days earlier I had made ROSE ICECREAM (recipe in my dessert section) and I was in awe of the combination of flavors that came together in it. So I turned it into a cake and to my surprise it was as good as that ICECREAM I had made. So if you want to make someone feel special then go ahead and make this ROSEY DELIGHT that is pure love........
NOTE:- I was too consumed making this cake I totally forgot to document the process but I have pictures of the final product. It's not at all difficult I promise you can easily make it on your own.
PREP TIME: 45 Mins COOK TIME: 45 Mins SERVING: 9 inch
Ingredients for Vanilla Ricotta Cake
1 1/2 cups All purpose Flour (maida)
2 Teaspoon Baking powder
1 cup Granulated Sugar
1 Lime Zest
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 Teaspoon Rose Water
3 Large eggs (room temp)
1 1/2 cup Ricotta Cheese (use whole milk ricotta)
1/2 cup unsalted butter (room temp)
1/4 tea spoon salt
Ingredients for Rose Mascarpone frosting
1 Cup Heavy cream
1 Cup Mascarpone Cheese
3 Teaspoon Rose Water
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup Granulated sugar converted into fine powder
(just use a coffee grinder or spice grinder and crush the sugar into fine powder)
Some rose petals, rose buds & crushed pistachio powder to decorate
* Pre- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl whisk together flour, salt and baking powder set aside.
* In your mixing bowl..or your kitchen aid bowl (if you have one) add in the butter, sugar and lemon zest with your paddle attachment. Cream it together till it turns pale in color.
* Add in one egg at a time and mix well till everything is nicely incorporated. Add in the vanilla and rose extract now.
* Add in half of the flour mixture and mix well till everything comes together. Slowly add in the rest of the flour and mix the batter till its nice pouring consistency and everything is well incorporated.
* Line a 9 inch Spring form pan (you can use 7 inch as well) with parchment paper and butter it well. Add in the cake mixture and gently tap just to remove the air bubbles.
* Put the pan in the oven and bake the cake for 40-45 Mins till your tooth pick comes out clean from the center.
*Remove the cake from oven once done and let it cool down completely on a cooling rack.
* Gently remove the outer cover of spring form pan and slice the cake in half with a large knife into 2 layers. If you used 7 inch pan you can cut three equal layers.
Making the ROSE MASCARPONE FROSTING:-
*You can do this while cake is cooling down. Firstly take your mixing bowl or your kitchen aid bowl and paddle attachment and freeze it for 10-15 mins in the freezer.
* Take out the mixing bowl or kitchen aid bowl and paddle attachment and add in the heavy cream, mascarpone cheese, rose water, sugar and vanilla extract.
* Whip everything till the mixture turns into hard peak or soft peak to your liking for like 4-5 minutes.
* I took half the whipped rose mascarpone frosting and layered it on bottom half of my cake and covered it with the other half. Then I put the rest of the frosting on top and covered the cake evenly on top and roughly on the sides.
*If you use 7 inch pan then equally divide the frosting into 3 parts and layer it evenly on each slice and on top.
* Decorate with some rose petals and buds and crushed pistachios on top and on the sides of the cake. That's it. You can place this cake in the fridge for half an hour just to set. Slice and serve.